Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Curiosity of Evening Classes

Evening classes are a great way for people to meet new friends, to discover new interests and hobbies and they can open up our minds and enrich us. However, for some of us evening classes may prevent us from watching quality television like “Identita” and “Simpatici”
Knowing that I wanted to study Maltese for foreigners I quickly filled in my application form at the local college. I have joined up for the preliminary course. Whether the preliminary course is suitable for me, remains to be seen. It’s true I can’t say the basics like “I am from the UK” or “I am 28 years old” in Maltese, but will the other preliminary students know how to say “mutu muto qrunu f’butu” (you have to watch the quiet ones) and “jekk ma joghobnix” (what if I don’t like it) or be able to swear and curse with great facility. Will the other preliminaries also be able to greet the tutor with “hares sirrrrrrr” and ask “nista mmur il loki?” My answer is.......Ma nisipx ( I don’t think so, (I couldn’t ask the Pagun for any other translations due to some rising tension due to my incessant questioning, so the word here is written purely phonetically))
In the many hours of free-time I have had this week, I flicked through the evening classes prospectus on numerous occasions. Doubting whether the Maltese for foreigners course will run due to the lack of preliminaries applying I wondered whether I should opt for a back-up course. At first there were two other courses that grabbed my attention; the first being “design of stairs”, the second being “rabbit breeding”. It was a few days later when I noticed that “Fancy Poultry Grooming” was right up my street.
The whole concept of this course opens up a magnitude of questions that hopefully others might be able to answer. Who goes for such a class like Fancy Poultry Breeding? Which chicken keeper likes his or her chickens to always be looking their best? How are the classes structured? Do I need my own ungroomed chicken or are they supplied? Does an ungroomed chicken really want to be paraded in front of a whole class? Are these chicken keepers like these pushy parents of child-actors? Do they force their chickens to look good? Or rather is it the chickens who feel they need a new makeover? Are there hundreds of Maltese chickens who lack self-esteem, who feel depressed, sad and lonely because of their looks? Are they unable to attract the cock that they really really want?
I guess these questions could only be answered if I were to join up for the course, and to coin a well known Maltese expression.....ux eeeeeeee!!!

4 comments:

  1. thoroughly enjoyed this post...by the way: ma nahsibx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and the chicken exclaims, "arani issa!" (I hope u get the pun, if not ask Pagun for more details)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a hilarious post!!! I used to teach English at the evening classes too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Zen and glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete